I have lived in my house since 1987 and yet I would have a hard time to finding something that hasn’t changed at least once during that time. It amazing me how many times I walk into homes and I can not only tell you the decade it was built but also the decade it was decorated…and it is usually the same.
Come on girls….you would never dream of wearing the same hairstyle you wore in the 80′s.
Admit it…I got you giggling with that thought… and yet you think nothing of leaving the same wallpaper or drapes up in your house from way back when.
I know what you are about to say…but I still like it…
Thats fine…but I may still like shoulder pads but I shouldn’t still own them. Just so you know..I never did like shoulder pads.
But I did love this dress…it was silk and the bottom had beautiful folded over pleats that had such graceful movement when I walked…ok stop giggling…it was a great dress for it’s time…but not NOW.
Don’t get me wrong. There are some things that are just classic and will last for generations…but if you love it then it deserves to be put in a place that it can look the very best it can look.
So here is a check list for your house for things that just might be out dated…
1. Your most comfortable chair. These are like comfortable shoes…we keep them a lot longer than we should.
2. Do you have border paper?
3. When was the last time you updated your color choices?
4. Dried flowers…hmmm…can be done…I say that very cautiously…more times than not they just look like dust collectors
5. If your window treatments are more than 10 years old it’s time for an update….sorry I know it’s expensive but you will be happy when it’s done.
6. Wallpaper..yes they still sell wallpaper…but if yours is once again more than 10 years old then ….well lets just put it this way..would you wear a ten year old dress?
I know that there are exceptions to every rule…these are just some things to help get you thinking outside the box.
Let me know what you throw away…