I knew when I designed the house that decorating the stairwell wall would be a challenge for me. Looking at that large massive space was overwhelming, yet doing nothing with it wasn’t the answer. It made the home seem cold and bland.
Gallery walls often stress me out, but there was something about this one that was calming. These are the elements that I liked about this wall:
1. Everything was over-sized.
2. All the pictures were black and white or sepia.
3. The frames didn’t match .
4. The pictures were of kids playing in water.
It was time to make this happen. I grabbed my best friend and headed to Hobby Lobby. They had their frames on sale at 50% off, so what better time was there to do this.
I had no idea how many frames I needed, so I just kept sticking everything I liked in the cart figuring I could always return what I didn’t use.
I thought the next part would be the hardest…figuring out how to lay them out…WRONG.
We had laid the pictures on the floor and had friends come over. We would talk for a while, and then someone would get up and move the pictures around. I would take a photo, and then we would sit and talk until someone else got up to move them. It was actually fun. After a couple of hours,and countless designs, we came up with…
We decided to cut out poster board the same size as the picture frames and mark on the poster board where we needed to put the nails. Then the poster board was stuck to the wall to double check our plan.
Now for the fun part ….NOT!
Finding the pictures for the frames has proven to be much harder than I ever imagined.
1. my grandkids…they look adorable in all their pictures, so how do I chose one?
2. Pictures taken when my kids were little were all taken with a crappy camera so they don’t enlarge well.
3. If you don’t have high resolution photos and you blow them up, they get very grainy.
4. “Professional” pictures from Kmart look purple when you blow them up.
5. If they look dark they will look very dark on the wall.
6. If your grandbaby has a runny nose in a picture, it will really bug you when it is blown up huge.
I am still working on my gallery, but even with the problems, I am loving what it has done for my space. I love looking up and seeing these smiles…